Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fancy Feet? Not Under These Ankles!

The Date: a dreary Saturday in January.

The Location: a beautiful new KINTEC store in Surrey.

The Reason: my warped walking mechanics.



Okay…I’ve heard about as many walking jokes & comments as I care to remember, but after years and years of “tippy…happy toes…goalie…” I started to think maybe there was some truth to the hundreds of my dearest friends making sure I knew my physical walking style was funny to them. And here I thought they were all just a-holes…



I’ve struggled with knee pain for over 15 years, thanks to a few skiing mishaps, sports injuries and tequila, to which I found an incredible amount of relief from prolotherapy (see my previous article at http://www.farparker.com/article.php?article_id=25), but my tippy-toe walking style has, bless its heart, never left my side. I’ve also noticed a mild pain rearing its head in my lower extremities after vigorous treadmill dates or hockey games. Having always thought it may have been related to my inability to part cash for performance running shoes, I decided to visit KINTEC with my good buddy FarParker to find out if anything could be done.



First up - an informal meeting with Dan, Andrew and John to exchange pleasantries and admire the new store with its endless cool stuff to make me a better human. Then, it was right down to business.



Certified Pedorthist John took us through some initial exercises (don’t worry – these were easy…you know, like squatting, walking, cement laying) to help get an idea of our body dynamics. From there, several stretching tests and questions about the nature of my preferred sports and daily routine started to paint a picture of just why I was so screwed up. And yes…he noticed my tippy-toe walk.




To read the rest of this article and see if custom orthotics might be for you, CLICK HERE to visit us at FarParker.com!  Thanks...



No comments:

Post a Comment